Dragonflycollector.com was originally created as my personal blogging space to document my thoughts, poetry, travels and inspirations. My first post on this site is dated November 13, 2010 entitled, “How Soon Is Now.” It wasn’t until July 10, 2013 that I made the decision to adopt the domain name as an alias for my solo recording project. Read the post “An Inspired Transition.”
This site is over four years old, but as a solo artist I officially turned two. This is an opportunity to take time and reflect on delights and accomplishments as well as failures that helped shape my journey. By doing so, I somehow became an inspiration to myself and hopefully to others.
The highlights of my TWO years
1. Reunited with my high school band mates, the brothers Vengee Gatmaitan (bass) and Jojo Gatmaitan (drums), and collaborated on the single, “There Is No Remaining In Place” and on the album “The World Is Your Oyster.” It was for the genuine love of music that brought us together during high school, and the commercial aspect of it that separated us during college. After 20 years, we rekindled our friendship and passion with them taking precious time out of their jobs (Jojo is based in Hong-Kong) and families. I felt it was an event waiting to happen, it felt as natural as the wind, effortless even. They served as my inspiration during my formative years as a guitarist in high school, and now, respectable wingmen in my creative projects.
2. Going solo provides me with opportunity to gig and jam with different session musicians, some of them seasoned and well-respected. It was an eye-opener and very liberating.
3. On August 24, 2013 I performed my first ever full band gig as Dragonfly Collector at The Venice Piazza.
4. On December 1, 2013, released my first digital single, “There Is No Remaining In Place”
5. Listed as a semi-finalist in the 2013 International Songwriting Contest under the category Adult Album Alternative (AAA) for the song “There Is No Remaining In Place.”
6. On February 15, 2014, released the music video to “There Is No Remaining In Place” produced by the exceptional and passionate team of 57 Studios Manila, headed by Jofre Nachor (who occasionally plays drums for DC) and directed by acclaimed Film/TV actor Alwyn Uytingco.
7. Released a crowdfunding project for the production of my debut album, “The World Is Your Oyster” on June 2014, and was successfully funded after 3 months, thanks to generous friends, family and fans all over the world.
8. Recorded the album “The World Is Your Oyster” for two months between September and October 2014 under the direction of my long-time producer and engineer Jonathan Ong and his crew in Sonic State Audio. Those were fantastic times of drunken nights and intense recording sessions. Here is a video of Jonathan Ong inviting people to support the album.
8. On January 10, 2015 released my first digital album, “The World Is Your Oyster”.
9. Gigging highlights. My solo shows in Singapore (2013); San Francisco, and New York (2014). In the Philippines, the recent Life Rocks On Tour concert in the Philippine Arena where I performed two songs from my album backed-up by the ABS-CBN Philharmonic Orchestra.
An amazing first two years, don’t you think? The third will be a culminating year for “The World Is Your Oyster” album with the upcoming announcement of my physical Album Launch and Philippine tour. Please watch out for that. In the meantime, celebrate with me at Boiler Room on Monday.
Time flies, but it’s good to know I’m the pilot.